Friday, July 13, 2007

Casting books

I’m not dead! I vanished for a while due to personal stuff (Good stuff, but time-consuming) and let the writing slide. I’ll try to be more consistent in the future.

Alastair Reynolds mentions something interesting- he envisioned Clavain from the “Revelation Space” series as Sean Connery- specifically, Sean Connery as he looked in “The Hunt for Red October.”

I have, on occasion, envisioned characters in books as actors while I read. When I started reading A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin, for instance, I almost immediately imagined King Robert as Brian Blessed- partly from his role as the Duke of Exeter in Henry V, but mostly from when he played Richard IV in Black Adder.

For somewhat less clear reasons, I always imagined Garrett from Glen Cook’s Garrett, P.I. books as looking (and sounding, which makes no sense) like Gabriel Byrne’s character in Miller’s Crossing. Don’t ask me why. I also always imagined either Crask or Sadler (I don’t recall which) as looking and sounding like The Dane from the same film.

Anyone have any examples of their own?



Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

TIME ENOUGH FOR LOVE -- Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid Era Paul Newman in various age makeups as Lazarus Long. Because of that, Minerva was always a young Gena Rowlands.

THE MOON IS A HARSH MISTRESS -- Young Robert Duvall as Mannie.

THE STARS MY DESTINATION -- Christopher Walken as Gully Foyle.