Thursday, May 17, 2007

Lloyd Alexander, R.I.P.

I just read at the Science Fiction Book Club Blog that fantasy author Lloyd Alexander has passed away. He is best known for the Chronicles of Prydain series. He holds a special place for me, so I wanted to say something in his honor.

In fifth grade, we had a contest to see who could read the most books from a list provided. I participated vigorously and ultimately won; I was Class Nerd and was pleased to have a method of competition where I could crush the jocks. One of the books, which I picked up out of curiosity, was something called "The High King" by Lloyd Alexander. Despite the fact that I was not much of a fiction reader at the time, preferring science and history books, and despite the fact that I was reading the climax of a series out of order, I was entranced. I hadn't known there were books like this! It wasn't the book that turned me into a hardcore SF geek- The Mote in God's Eye holds that distinction- but The Chronicles of Prydain started me down that path, and it's very special to me.

So, Mr. Alexander: Thank you. You opened up whole new worlds to me, and brought a great deal of happiness to a little boy during a very unhappy time in his life. Rest in peace.



Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: